Thursday, September 1, 2011

Lifestyle

I've been gluten-free for about five months now. Wow...has it really been that long already? It seems like just a couple weeks ago I was sitting in a hospital bed, getting ready to run some more tests...But here I am, five months later, gluten-free and healthier than ever. For the most part.

Sometimes in conversation, my having Celiac disease will come up. And sometimes, I slip up and say that I'm on a diet. Which, in a way is true. But I'm not choosing to do this. It's something I have to do. So, it isn't really a "diet" to me. It's more of a lifestyle. A diet is something people do when they think they weigh too much, so they eat less, or eat "healthier." Eating gluten free foods is one way people do diet. But I'm not doing this because I want to lose weight. I'm doing it and will remain to stay on this so-called diet because I have to. It has become a lifestyle, something that I will get more and more used to and less and less annoyed with.

Just a thought, I suppose.

2 comments:

  1. Chris will be right there by your side!

    You are a good kid Brittany and i am impressed that you have taken this so seriously and have decided to follow through with changing your diet (even though it is not a diet)...most girls your age, i don't think would be taking Celiac disease as seriously as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Christine. I know he will be. :)

    The reason I take this so seriously is because I get frustrated so easily finding foods and places to eat when my family goes out. This is just a way for me to get it out to people that this is out there and it's becoming more and more common. And not only that, but it's just as serious as other food allergies.

    ReplyDelete